Device Fabrication Process Engineer (multiple positions, full-time)
- BIGHEART is developing a fabrication facility for microfluidic devices and microsystems. The facility features cleanroom processes, Si & plastic based prototyping and testing facilities for developing solutions for biomedical applications.
Qualification & Experience requirement:
- Bachelors/ Master’s Degree in Electrical / Electronics / Materials Engineering
- Hands-on experience in Semiconductor processing such as lithography, etching, deposition as relevant to MEMS / microfluidics fabrication, injection molding
- Experience in prototyping microsystems, systems in package and product development
- Cleanroom work experience in an R&D setting
- Help commission & maintain cleanroom and prototyping process equipment
- Develop and standardise processes for fabricating microstructures / microfluidics, devices, packages using materials such as Si, SU-8, PDMS, glass, plastic
- Develop and standardise processes to meet the demands of small to medium scale production of devices and systems
- Work closely with electronics experts in developing a user interface for the microsystems
- Liase with external engineering contractors / facilities for any complementary technical needs
- Perform basic preventive maintenance / trouble-shooting of cleanroom equipment and liaise with vendors as necessary
- Provide technical input to researchers in the design of devices and systems
- Work in an inter-disciplinary team of experts in engineering and life sciences
- Maintaining lab supplies for upkeep of cleanroom equipment and processes through timely procurement
- Help maintain a safe and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures complying with legal regulations
To apply, please send your CV and names of 3 referees (Name, institution, email) to Professor Luke P. Lee (email@example.com), Dr Narayanan Balasubramanian (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Donny Liang (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Technical Engineering Designer / Medical Product Designer (multiple positions, full-time)
We are looking for a designer who has a passion in technical engineering product design with relevant industry experience. You will be working with the team in BIGHEART to translate researchers’ ideas into reality by visually conceptualising, demonstrating creative skills.
You will work on a variety of interdisciplinary research and development projects (biophysics, chemistry, life science, biomedical/mechanical/ electrical engineering) to create professional level scientific diagrams, 3D CAD drawings, animations and industrial designs for medical engineering products and devices.
You will be working with a research team to create product designs to suit various purposes such as scientific publication, conference presentation, grant funding proposals, research prototyping and product manufacturing.
You will constantly communicate and improve the designs based on the advancement of science and technology, and users feedback. You will also deliver the design output in a timely manner as you may be required to meet with a tight project deadline.
- Possess a mechanical or industrial engineering degree or diploma
- Portfolio of professional standard designed figures in related fields
- Proficient knowledge of engineering design software and design tools for 3D rendering
- A good team player
Candidates must submit at least 3 different portfolio designs in related fields along with their CV.
To apply, please send your portfolio, CV and names of 3 referees (Name, institution, email) to Professor Luke P. Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Donny Liang (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Executive Assistant to Director (Manager/Senior Manager, full-time)
The Executive Assistant to the Director’s primary responsibility is to provide logistical support and office coordination to the organization, ensuring the installation of appropriate systems and tools for the team’s success. Specifically, the position is responsible for providing assistance to the Director, providing general office management, and meeting and event coordination.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides systematic, comprehensive, dependable support services to the Director that ensures a professional, responsive and effective experience with the higher level of organization and preparedness as a whole.
- Provides sophisticated calendar management. Prioritizes inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts with little guidance; makes judgments and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements.
- Administers correspondence, manages incoming calls, and prioritizes phone messages, emails and mail. Handles all calls and visitors with grace, sophistication and professionalism.
- Organize meetings and record events, takes notes and distributes meeting minutes, agendas and meeting packages.
- Writes error-free, eloquent emails and letters for various events and announcements.
- Updates and maintains phone lists for Director.
- Manages contacts using Outlook to conduct up-to-date database entry, tracks VIP relations and correspondence; facilitates relationships by familiarizing his/herself with various life events (such as birthdays, and other major milestones).
- Provides complex travel arrangements. Becomes familiar with the specific, detailed needs of the Director and travel partners; creates consistent travel itinerary portfolios for reference and be available during travel times to quickly address any last-minute changes or cancellations.
- Accurately tracks expenses for Director by managing credit cards and receipts. Processes and submits receipts accurately and on schedule.
- Maintains confidentiality and uses a high degree of discretion.
- Works in a professional and focused manner to schedule internal and external meetings including, but not limited to, Board and subcommittees, project teams, etc.
- Prepares for meetings including ordering lunch, booking conference rooms, setting up projector or video conferencing units.
- Uses Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint to produce materials for internal and external meetings and conferences.
- Works closely with NRF and NMRC team to arrange meetings and events as needed.
- Assists with recruitment efforts, new hire orientations, on-boarding and terminations.
- Acts as a liaison with landlord and building management on any office-related issues.
- Acts as a liaison with IT consultant on all technology-related issues, including rapidly responding to staff problems and network outages.
- Acts as a liaison with the NUS HR team, acting as the onsite HR presence for BIGHEART.
- Acts as a liaison with the Board of Directors as needed.
- Sets-up staff meetings, maintains electronic staff calendars and organizes team events.
- Answers and directs calls and emails of the Director of a general nature.
- Provides timely and proactive management of the organization’s office environment.
- Maintains physical and electronic office filing systems for Director.
- Provides systematic and dependable follow up, as well as a high level of organization and preparedness.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation and as a relationship builder.
- Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with guests, vendors, and coworkers and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Displays engaging interpersonal skills including the ability to think and act strategically, provide sound judgment, and provide a positive and energetic attitude.
- Maintains workflow under pressure and in a fast-paced, high-profile work environment.
- Respectfully takes direction from Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises the Administrative Assistant. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, making hiring recommendations, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
College degree required. At least five to seven years’ professional experience in an executive assistant role preferred. Experience with CRM/contact management and Microsoft Office and Outlook is preferred.
Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job requires specialized computer skills. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, project management, graphics, word processing, PPT presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
To apply, please send your CV and names of 3 referees (Name, institution, email) to Professor Luke P. Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Donny Liang (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Faculty Positions (assistant, associate, or full professor)
BIGHEART seeks passionate and self-motivated candidates for multiple faculty positions (assistant, associate, or full professor) working on innovative healthcare technology.
The successful candidate would be expected to lead a research group within a collaborative interdisciplinary environment. The appointment would start as soon as possible. Candidates are required to have a MD, PhD, or MD/PhD and a strong scientific publication, translational research and innovation record. Demonstrated excellence in teaching and research is desired with experience in working at the frontier of biomedical science and technology. Candidates should also have the capacity to lead research and have potential for significant contributions to BIGHEART and wider global healthcare. Candidates are expected to be self-motivated and collaborative with effective communication skills. Ability to work independently to design, execute, and interpret experimental data is required.
To apply, please send your research statement, CV and names of 3 referees (Name, institution, email) to Professor Luke P. Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Donny Liang (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Research Fellows (General)
The Biomedical Institute for Global Health Research and Technology (BIGHEART) at the National University of Singapore seeks passionate and self-motivated candidates for multiple post-doctoral positions working on innovative healthcare technology.
The successful candidate would be expected to be part of a research group within a collaborative interdisciplinary environment. The appointment would start as soon as possible.Candidates are required to have a MD, PhD, or MD/PhD and a strong scientific publication, translational research and innovation record. Demonstrated excellence in research is desired with experience in working at the frontier of biomedical science and technology. Candidates should be self-motivated with the potential for significant contributions to BIGHEART and wider global healthcare. Candidates are expected to be collaborative with effective communication skills. Ability to work independently to design, execute, and interpret experimental data is required.
To apply, please send your research statement, CV and names of 3 referees (name, institution, email) to Professor Luke LEE (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Donny LIANG (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Postdoctoral Fellows in Health Technology
(Multiple Areas: Biology, Materials Chemistry, Electrical Engineering)
The Laboratory for Multiscale Molecular Diagnostics @ BIGHEART, National University of Singapore (NUS), seeks highly motivated and talented postdoctoral research fellows to join our diverse team. We focus on developing novel micro- and nanoscale technologies to empower circulating biomarker research and its clinical translation. Selected fellows will lead various projects on 1) circulating biomarker discovery and assay development, 2) nanomaterial synthesis and applications, and 3) device design and prototyping. Please visit our lab website for more details (http://bioeng.nus.edu.sg/shaolab/).
Qualifications & requirements:
Biomarker discovery and assay development
- PhD in Biological Sciences, Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering or related disciplines
- Strong expertise in at least one and preferably multiple areas such as biomarker characterization, sequencing, protein engineering, cloning, cell culture, bioconjugation, electrochemistry, bioanalytical chemistry
- PhD in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related disciplines
- Strong expertise in at least one and preferably multiple areas such as organic and inorganic synthesis, nanomaterial characterization, micro- and nanofabrication, surface chemistry, bioanalytical chemistry
- PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics or related disciplines
- Strong expertise in at least one and preferably multiple areas such as micro- and nanofabrication, sensor prototyping, circuit design, optical engineering, plasmonics, microfluidics, modeling studies
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV and names of 3 references (name, institution, email) to Prof. Huilin SHAO (firstname.lastname@example.org). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Research Fellows: Laser-driven optofluidics
The Optofluidic and Energy Systems Laboratory at NUS seeks highly motivated and hard-working candidates for the position of post-doctoral researcher fellows who have multidisciplinary research experience in the areas of:
- Microfluidics, optofluidics and nanofluidics
- Energy (solar, water) harvesting
- Biofludics and biophotonics
- Lab on a Chip
- Clean room fabrication
Our research focus is on small-scale fluidic and interfacial phenomena such as electrowetting, water contact based electrification, and light-interacted microfluidic manipulation. With fundamental understanding in these areas, we further develop novel materials and micro/nanofluidic sensing and actuation systems for energy/water applications. More information can be found on our website (http://blog.nus.edu.sg/ofes/home/). Our group is also affiliated with the Biomedical Institute for Global Health Research and Technology (BIGHEART) at NUS.
Qualifications & requirements:
- PhD degree in mechanical, electrical, or bio-chemical engineering and a strong publication record.
- Minimum two year cleanroom experiences for optofluidic device fabrications and strong background in optics and microfluidics.
- Research experiences in instrumentation of laser systems.
- Candidates are expected to be collaborative with effective communication skills.
To apply, please send your CV and names of 3 referees (name, institution, email) to Prof. PARK (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Postdoctoral Fellows in Wireless Bioelectronics
The Wireless Bioelectronics Group at the National University of Singapore seeks motivated and talented postdoctoral fellows to join our interdisciplinary team. We focus on developing wireless devices and technologies in order to demonstrate new approaches to bioelectronic diagnostics and therapies. Successful candidates will lead projects on (i) electromagnetic modelling and radio-frequency systems, (ii) sensors and materials engineering, and (iii) device prototyping and testing.
More details can be found on our website (https://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/stfpage/hsyj/index.html). Our group is also affiliated with the Singapore Institute for Neurotechnology (SINAPSE) and the Biomedical Institute for Global Health and Technology (BIGHEART).
Qualifications & requirements:
Electromagnetic engineering and modeling
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or related discipline
- Expertise in electromagnetic theory, computational modeling, and radio-frequency engineering
Sensors and materials engineering
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline
- Expertise in nano/micro fabrication, biomaterials, and sensor design
Device prototyping and testing
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline
- Expertise in embedded systems, circuit design, flexible electronics, and nano/micro fabrication.
To apply, please send your CV and names of 3 referees (name, institution, email) to Dr. John HO (firstname.lastname@example.org). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Research Fellow: Cyber-Physical Systems
We are looking for highly talented and motivated candidates to work on developing applied machine learning, user-centric and persuasive technologies to encourage healthy behaviours. The project will leverage deep learning and other machine learning techniques to (1) support accurate and convenient logging of lifestyle behaviours (e.g., food logging through mobile photograph recognition) and (2) recommend healthy behaviours and provide context-aware interventions.
Qualifications & requirements:
- PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines with a background in human-computer interaction and cyber-physical systems
- Expertise in ubiquitous computing, human-computer interaction, machine learning, novel sensors, and data visualization is highly desirable
- Experience in developing algorithms for activity recognition
- Interest and experience in working with Internet-of-Things, wearable sensors, and mobile apps for healthcare applications
- Competency in developing and implement algorithms, and programming
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently (50%) and team projects (50%)
To apply, please send your research statement, CV and names of 3 referees (name, institution, email) to Dr. Brian LIM (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.